Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lazy Days and Greek Wine

I went back to Greece!! Originally, I wasn’t intending to return to Greece this year, but my friend, Hillary, wanted to go to Greece for six days and invited me and our friend Laura along. Hillary and I went to the town of Thessaloniki in northern Greece for two days. We ate many gyros, drank white wine by the Aegean Sea, and wandered all over town. During the course of our two days, we managed to visit quite a few ruins and walk off all the gyros we were eating. We also took two cruises around the harbor. Basically, the cruises are free as long as you buy an overpriced drink on board, and we were happy to pay since our drink price included a thirty minute boat ride!

Ruins of an old church in Thessaloniki by night

White wine sitting next to the church ruins

The Pirate Cruise

On board the Reggae Cruise

Ruins of an old arch in front of ruins of an old church

After Thessaloniki, we headed to the town of Kavala where we caught a ferry to the island of Thassos. Our friend, Laura, met us on the ferry, and we headed off for adventure. On the ferry, we made friends with the captain and his crew, and they let us pretend to steer the boat for awhile. It was quite fun. After we arrived on Thassos, we spent two nights in Prinos, the port village (and when I say village, I mean village; it was TINY) and two nights in Potos, a village on the other side of the island. Despite the sun burn I acquired, I had an incredible time. Greek food, Greek wine, and Greek sunsets all contributed to a wonderful stay on the island. There’s something about relaxing on the beach with a glass of white wine that makes the world seem wonderful. As my friend Laura said, “When you visit an island like Thassos, you can really understand why the ancient Greeks believed that the gods dwelt in Greece.” If I was a goddess, I would probably choose someplace like Greece to live, too.


Driving the ferry boat!

Our new ferryboat friends

Parking is forbitten

Laura and I at dinner in Potos

A view of the sea in Potos. It looks like a Corona commercial...

The sea gulls would catch the breeze from our ferry boat and drift in our wake

Approaching Kavala and the end of our trip in Greece

No comments:

Post a Comment