Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas

Sometimes, I wonder if Bulgaria is partly a test from God. Not to go all religious on you or anything, but I've found my faith both challenged and strengthened here. Don't get me wrong, some of my best memories will always be from Bulgaria. But I have had to grow in so many ways. I am supposed to be at home right now for Christmas. But due to a crazy impenetrable fog, no flights left Sofia yesterday. And due to the blizzard last week, flights to North America are booked solid through Christmas. In other words, because I missed yesterday's flight, I was up a creek without a paddle. Lufthansa told me that the soonest they could get me home was Christmas Day. I cried. And to put it all in perspective, the man behind the counter told me that he was supposed to be going to see his mom in New York that Sunday. But he no longer could go because of the craziness of flights. I don't know if he gave up his flight out of sympathy or has to work that day now because of everything or what. But he also doesn't get to go home. I felt so alone. And upset. And I finally came to terms with it today when I went to the airport to see all of my friends off on their flights. All three of them were able to fly out today. And I was left alone in Sofia. But despite feeling alone, I was incredibly happy for them. I returned to my hotel room prepared to cry and watch movies, and I found a message under my door telling me to call Lufthansa right away. I called and was told that they have found a way to fly me home tomorrow. The man at the counter kept looking for a flight for me even after I left. Because he knew how important it was to me to be home for the holidays. So, please cross your fingers that I am able to fly out of Sofia tomorrow morning in time to spend Christmas with my family. Much love and Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment