Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Chilling in Stara Zagora

The weather here is driving me nuts. Last Friday, I wandered town in a t-shirt and jeans. By Monday, I was wearing a sweatshirt, winter coat, and scarf to work and was still chilly. Today, warm again. Not quite t-shirt weather, but getting up there again. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. As most of you know, I hate being cold. I don't mind winter as long as I am bundled up in cute, warm, winter gear, but I prefer being warm to being cold. So, the warm weather is quite nice. I couldn't walk around much today due to some strange tummy upsettedness and a huge stack of grading I needed to get through, but I have managed to get out a lot more than I expected this December due to the surprisingly pleasant weather. It feels like September back home. But this back and forth stuff has to stop. I'm going crazy. I like being warm, not on fire. And lately, I'm on fire. I dress for cold weather and am fine most days, and then out of nowhere, I'm sweating and panting and dying in my sweatshirt as it hits 60 degrees or more. I'm told that cold will come, and it will come with a vengeance. In the meantime, however, I'm not really sure what each day will bring. I guess I ought to think of it as an adventure.

In other news, my wonderful mommy has sent me another package (she's amazing!) filled with Kraft mac and cheese. I just ate an entire package of mac and cheese in one sitting. I'm blaming that mostly on the fact that I haven't really eaten today due to not feeling well. And the fact that it's Kraft mac and cheese. It's delicious and tastes like home. It's interesting how I have begun to crave foods that remind me of home even though I don't really eat those foods at home very often. I can't really remember the last time I had Kraft mac and cheese before Bulgaria. I'm the same way with peanut butter these days. And I've been craving steak. I almost never eat red meat. Maybe I just need more protein. That would explain the peanut butter and the steak...I wonder what peanut butter would taste like ON a steak...

I feel like this post is really disjointed, but I only have little things to share this week instead of one big story to tie everything together. I start auditions next week for the spring play. I'm flying by the seat of my pants, and it's both terrifying and really fun. I modernized a shortened script for Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing. The script should be about one hour in length now. I'm also going to add some song and dance to it because my students really wanted a musical. I'm not really up to doing a musical. But, Shakespeare originally ended his plays with a dance. And there are two different party scenes in Much Ado. And nothing goes better at parties than song and dance. I'm not doing anything about singers and dancers till after break, though. Next week is just about finding actors. Luckily, I have several students who have already expressed interest. Hopefully, they'll show up for the audition, and this show will get off the ground. Next week, I cast the show and then leave town Thursday night. I have been summoned to Sofia by the Fulbright Commission to make my midyear report. After our meeting, I'm staying with a friend in Sofia until my flight home on the 22nd. Merry Christmas! I'll be home two weeks from today!

By the way, the Fulbright Commission sent me pictures this week from their visit to my school back in early November. Enjoy!

From the left: My principal, my mentor, the director of the Bulgarian Fulbright commission, my contact person in the commission, me, and another member of the commission. Notice how professional they all look compared to me. :P

Maria (my contact in the commission) grew up in Stara Zagora. She invited me to her mother's house for tea and coffee, and we had a really long talk about Van Gogh. It was excellent. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment