Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Friday, December 3, 2010

Orphan Thanksgiving

Last week was Thanksgiving. My first Thanksgiving away from my family ever. Luckily, I'm friends with some pretty amazing people, and a bunch of us decided to get together for an orphan Thanksgiving in Sofia. My friends Katie and Keith agreed to host the entire shindig, and they managed to rustle up two turkeys from somewhere. Everything else was potluck. I taught myself how to make pumpkin pie from scratch, and it turned out amazingly good. Ellen helped out by making crust, and between the two of us, we made four pies. Only three made it to the party. The fourth mysteriously disappeared. :)

The party was an amazing tribute to friendship and fun when far, far from the comforts of home. Not all of the Fulbrighters were able to make it, but those of us who did had a blast. Enjoy the pictures!

Laura Y, Byeong-Hun, Mark, Katie, and Ellen. There's a whole lot of plaid going on.

All of the gang who made it to the party. I'm on the right side. What a fun looking group! :)

Drinking wine out of plastic cups and eating brie off of napkins while waiting for the turkey to finish roasting. This is way classier than Thanksgiving at home.

And then we looked out the window and saw a political protest going on. Super cool.

Our amazing spread. It included turkey, broccoli, an eggplant dish, a Korean pancake thing, carrots, cabbage salad, squash lasagna, mushrooms on garlic bread, and brie with crackers. And to top it all off, apple and pumpkin pie with ice cream for dessert. It was an excellent Thanksgiving, and it helped dispel the touch of loneliness brought on by holidays away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment