Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Making Raggy Balls

I'm making a blanket. For several reasons. One - I'm freezing in my apartment. It is actually colder in my apartment than it is outside some days. I've got a little space heater, and as long as I stay right next to it, I'm warm enough to survive. But it's only going to get colder from here on out. Hence the need for another blanket (I already have four piled on my bed...). Two - I need a project. I go insane if I have no long term projects. And while I love the long term project that is teaching, I also am looking forward to a project outside of grading papers and watching all six seasons of Bones. Three - my mom sent several crochet patterns with me, and I would feel guilty if I did not make at least one of them. Especially since my mom has already asked if I've used any of them yet. Four - I've always wanted to make a blanket, and I have all the time in the world to do so this year. See? Four great reasons...okay...four decent reasons to make a blanket.

So, a blanket it is. But it is not just any blanket. It is a raggy blanket. AKA it's a crazy design that has loose bits of yarn that hang out of it making it look kind of like shag carpeting. Anyone who knows me well knows that I find shag carpeting fascinatingly awesome. So, a raggy blanket is perfect for me. But before I can make a raggy blanket I need to make raggy balls of yarn. For the past two nights, I've been cutting approximately 1964 yards of yarn into one yard segments. Then, I started tying segments together so that I end up with balls of yarn that alternate in colors and have loose ends sticking out. Altogether, I will end up with around seven balls of raggy yarn. So far, I've made one and a half. It will be spring before I complete this blanket... If I freeze to death this winter, go ahead and cremate me. At least that way, I'll be warm. :P

Note: I'm not actually in danger of freezing to death. Please don't panic and call in the National Guard. My mom sent me thick, fuzzy Halloween socks, which are keeping my feet warm, and I just dress in lots of layers. All is well. Speaking of Halloween, though, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!! I will post about my Halloween experience soon! Hint: it was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment