Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Halloween in Veliko Turnovo

Finally, my long awaited post on my Halloween trip to Veliko Turnovo. VT is a town about 120 km north of Stara Zagora, but it takes between three and four hours to get there because it's on the far side of an enormous mountain. Hillary lives an hour south, and we managed to make it onto the same bus up into the mountains. It was an absolutely gorgeous drive, and there was snow!!!!!!!!!! I love snow from a bus window. When I don't have to wade through the slush and be freezing. :P

Snow from the bus window!

Veliko Turnovo is the old capital of Bulgaria. It was conquered in the 1300's by the Ottoman Empire, but you can still see the remains of the old fortress. Hillary and I admired it from a distance the first day but waited to explore it fully until everyone else arrived.

Near the old fortress

There were several run down old buildings that had this crazy beauty in ruin.

Olivia, Laura Y, Dena, Kate, and Amanda showed up that night, and we had dinner and then went to the house where the Peace Corps Volunteers were staying. We got to meet a lot of them, and they all seemed fairly nice. It was nice to see some Americans again, and it was nice to be able to meet them in a relaxed environment before the Halloween party the next night. Saturday morning, we all woke up and went to tour the fortress. It was awesome! I love playing in old ruins...

Entering the fortress!!

An amazing view of the mountains.

That night, we all got fancied up and headed back to the PCV house for our Halloween Party. It was a lot of fun, but it made me miss the States like crazy! I can't wait for next year!

I was one cute Pippi Longstocking!

1 comment: