Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Roma children and discipline in the classroom

I'm currently attending the Fulbright International Summer Institute, where I'm taking a class on Bulgarian culture to prepare me to teach. Today, we talked about the treatment of ethnic minorities in Bulgaria, primarily Roma, Turks, and Pomak (ethnic Bulgarians who are Muslim and therefore considered a distinctly different group). Our lecturer said that the majority of Roma drop out of school and do not even attain a basic education because they are poor and cannot afford to buy books or to be away from home long enough to attend school. Further, many of them are bullied in school and made to feel inferior. Many are illiterate. She went further to say that one method of discrimination against the Roma is to require a basic education in order to receive a job in even the most basic of service industries. For example, hotel maids need at least five years of schooling (as in elementary school, not university level). Ilona, our lecturer, said that many Roma are upset because they do not understand why they need an education to get a job as a maid. They feel that they can clean just as well even if they are illiterate. Ilona defended the requirement, however, by saying that education provides discipline. According to her, the requirement is not just a matter of discrimination. Employers require schooling so that they know their employees have an understanding of basic "discipline." Apparently Roma are considered extremely undisciplined because their parents often do not put restrictions on their actions. They are allowed to roam freely, and the boys are allowed to treat the women in their family with less respect. One of the hardest aspects of education for Roma is the need to sit still for 45 minute periods, and the punishment for actions considered acceptable at home. When Roma become frustrated, they will sometimes bite or kick their teacher. Ilona implied that they kick or bite because they are not punished for doing so at home. I wonder, though, if part of their use of force is not behavior learned solely from their home environment but from their schooling. Roma students are bullied and beat up and segregated not just by the students but also by some teachers. Roma history and literature are considered irrelevant topics of study. Even the police occasionally play a part in the violence against Roma. I do not intend this to be a direct attack against Bulgaria. I understand that many countries, including the US, have problems with poor treatment of minority groups. I still vividly remember the Postville raid several years ago, and I have heard far too many people advocate a violent removal of Mexicans, even legal Mexicans, from the US.

Returning to my original point, however, I want to address the insistence that education's function is to supply discipline. Even in the US, discipline is seen as one of the primary functions of education. Even though many teachers hope to teach their students to love learning and to think independently, those outside of the teaching profession (and many teachers, as well) see education as a training facility for the workplace. We (I'm using the term "we" very loosely here...) want students and workers who sit quietly and do their work diligently. Who ask questions respectfully and only after they have been given permission to do so. For many teachers, the thought of a completely open classroom where students are encouraged to think independently and challenge their teachers and the instructions given to them is a nightmare, not a dream. We worry about losing control of our classroom and losing sight of our objectives. But what are our objectives? Having students questioning the information presented to them is not losing control. You only lose control when you try to stamp out creativity and questions or when you have no objectives and do not provide any sort of a structure. I don't believe in total anarchy in the classroom. I believe in some structures and guiding activities and goals. But I think that teachers should present materials as a launching point for discussion and debate, not as a chance to prove their own intelligence by condescendingly handing down the "right" answer to everything from the glorified heights of academia (that is, of course, an exaggeration of the way that most teachers operate in the classroom, but it is true that too many teachers think of students as empty vessels to be filled with the teacher's knowledge). Maybe it's my background as an English major, but I doubt the existence of a right answer. I think there are many, many right answers. And I want students to question what others perceive as reality. They should know what is expected in a workplace, but they should also know that those expectations are based on a certain view of reality, which is constantly changing. While they should know social norms, they should also understand social norms. Maybe I'm a dreamer. I don't know. But I think that it's unfortunate that Roma can't afford an education because they're impoverished and can't get jobs because they don't have an education, and all of this is based partly on the perception that they don't understand discipline, when in reality, they just don't understand the Bulgarian perception of discipline.

7 comments:

  1. It's a catch-22. Roma seem to be separated from and persecuted in a lot of cultures. I know Hitler went after them; there was an entire exhibit about the Roma in one of the old barracks at Sachsenhausen.

    I challenged teachers a lot. Some really loved it. Others hated it. Many teachers don't expect to be challenged or expect a student like me who doesn't fawn over their every word. It would be nice to have the curriculum be a stepping off point, though. I've sat through way too many discussions that are "intellectual" that are basically people regurgitating the same thoughts over and over again and no one really thinking about/understanding opposite points of view (myself sometimes included).

    I was going to say one more thing, but I can't quite remember right now. Oh! Yes I do. Your comment about education as discipline for later on jobs. I distinctly remember reading in my tenth grade world history book that the US (at least) school system is based on the French, which Napoleon implemented as a way to create efficient government workers. Since we're becoming more and more globalized/colonized, are schools beginning to emulate western European and American schools as well? It's just a thought and could explain a lot of the discipline issues as it was originally started to create the efficient workers.

    Now let's see if my name shows up as I want it to.
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. This issue of discipline and disciplining is interesting, and a complex one too. You will see for yourself how the kids in our school are but can share what other people have said about them and what my perception is. Ken, a Fulbright tracher from Ann Arbor, for example, described them as 'more obedient', 'more respectful' compared to the kids he taught, which totally surprised some of my colleagues who think of present-day kids as 'spoiled', 'disruptive' and basically undisciplined.Interestingly, Bulgarian teachers, usually of the older generation, take discipline in ex-comminist schools as a yardstick, and this is very unhelpful I think because discipline then meant totarianism with all that ensued from that. The thing is a lot of teachers are products of those times and their expectations regarding discipline in present-day schools have not changed much since then. The kids, however have been brought up in a different time and have been exposed to complex processes of transition from communism to democracy and market economy and conflicting and confusing messages from the media and pop culture and a total clash of values. So they no longer(I think) accept authority of teachers per se(and this is grest but some hate it); they need solid arguments to take on board what adults offer and this is fair enough. However, (traditional) Bulgarian society is in addition a large-power distance society(Hofstede, you might have come across his four-dimentional culture descriptions)while kids are much more global, digital natives,etc. - so there is a lot of complexity in how people here perceive discipline. I like it when you say there are no right answers, I am also a lover of multiple perspectives - but I know I have learned this over the years and mmainly through my interactions, personal and prfessional, with the Anglo-Saxon world(whatever this means), and this kind of sensibility makes me(often) feel like a 'straddler', inhabiting a third space, neither at home with your inmates, no fully at home with the 'others'...but to sum up - discipline should come from motivation and the key thing is how we motivate instead of 'discipline' the kids.
    As for the goal of BG education - hmmm, you seem dissatisfied with preparing disciplined workers; I was thinking, what are we preparing - potential emigrants with unnecessary general knowledge??? Am not sure at all...
    Have been rambling but your post touched a chord...You will be hearing all sorts of opinios, and this is the beauty of meeting the 'other':-) Thanx for posting this. Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. It isn't just BG education that strives to prepare disciplined workers, and I'm actually not necessarily against that goal as long as it is not the only goal of education. I just think there should be something more to it. Otherwise, why do we make students learn things that they will not necessarily use in the workplace? When I took my final education course in college, we were asked to reflect on what we think the goal of education should be, and I have never come up with a satisfactory answer. I know why I want to be a teacher, and I know what I want to teach my students. I want to teach them to be inquisitive and to love the pursuit of knowledge because I have learned to love the pursuit of knowledge, and I think it has enriched my life in countless ways. And the knowledge my students pursue does not have to be the kind of knowledge I pursue. Even if my students do not leave my classroom loving Shakespeare or wanting to pursue New Historicist theory, I want them to find something they are passionate about, and I hope that their education teaches them where to look for the resources to pursue their passion. But that is a more personal goal. The overall, societal goal for education? That is a lot harder to tackle. Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of people in the US (I don't know about Bulgaria) that think of the education system as a holding tank where students wait and learn basic skills until they are old enough to join the work force. I hate the thought that my job is a facilitator in a holding tank. It sounds too much like I am a jail warden. Further, it diminishes what I do, and what hundreds of thousands of my colleagues do, on a daily basis. On the other hand, I want my students to be prepared for life, and their life (unless they're a trust fund baby) includes holding a job. I think it would be irresponsible of me to not prepare them for the world of the workplace, but there is so much more to the world than the workplace, and I want my students to feel like they have something that they are passionate about and eager to do outside of work. I hope, probably in vain, that all of my students end up in jobs that they are passionate about and love greatly, but I do not want them to be consumed by their careers. I guess this was a long, roundabout way of saying that I don't think there can be a unified societal goal for education, but I hope that most people look beyond just the "easy" goal of creating busy little worker bees and see the potential of education for enriching lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being passionate is key, even if you are to sell cucumbers at the town market(as I often say to my students). I like passion in the things we do, gives them/us life and meaning.
    PS Previous post was mine but from another account, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This came out today in the Bg press and a debate on FB ensued about the similarities we share...Age of Information paradoxes...

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100817/ts_alt_afp/lifestyleuschildrenoffbeat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your ideas here. How did your perception and analysis of this situation change over time? Were you able to implement a teaching style that provoked questioning and creativity? How did it go?

    ReplyDelete