Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Bulgarian Wedding and new pictures of my apartment




Today, FISI (Fulbright International Summer Institute) took a field trip to Blagoevgrad and Dobarsko. In Blagoevgrad, we toured the American University (which has WAAAAAAAAAYYY nicer dorms than Luther College, ps). Then, we had half an hour to wander the city centre and take a few pictures. It was not nearly enough time to see everything, but I did manage to see a beautiful river and an awesome old VW bug. Then, we traveled just outside of town for lunch at a traditional Bulgarian tavern. I have already raved about the food, so I won't go too far into it here. Just let me say, it was delicious and came in four courses: salads and veggies, potatoes and veggies, meat, and fruit for dessert. By the time the meat arrived, I was fairly stuffed, but I managed to make room for a couple of bites of chicken kebab and chicken stuffed with what I think was ham. I had absolutely no room at all for the fruit. So, I left the table and wandered around in the petting zoo just outside. It probably wasn't intended as an actual petting zoo, but there were tons of animals and you could pet several of them over the low fences, including the ponies!
The river in Blagoevgrad

In Dobarsko, we visited a beautiful church where we heard folk songs sung by local, traditional folk singers. The church was built sometime between 1120 and 1640. The date is widely disputed. My uneducated guess based on the frescoes inside, my limited knowledge of Byzantine/Orthodox art, and my tendency to sit in the middle would be that the church was built somewhere in the early 1400's? I pulled that number out of thin air, but it seems to be a good compromise. I don't think, from what I saw, that it was built as late as 1640, but it is in incredibly good shape to be built as early as 1120.

Drinking the rakia

Greetings from Bulgaria!

While in Dobarsko, the folk singers reenacted parts of a Bulgarian wedding ceremony for us, and they asked for volunteers to pretend to be the bride and groom. I have become one hundred times more adventurous since arriving in Bulgaria, and I decided to go for it. So, I got to wear three layers of extremely hot clothing that was covered in intricate, hand-made embroidery. Then, I got to chug rakia (a Bulgarian liquor that is like very strong brandy) and dance with my "groom" and the folk singers. It was an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I am happy that I am learning to take advantage of the opportunities presented to me.

I've decided to accept the apartment that my school offers. I have already seen several pictures, and I received some of the kitchen today from the German assistant that currently lives there. It's adorable, and I can't wait to move in! My apartment comes fully furnished, and it even has a washing machine. I'm really excited about that. I'm going to have a lot of laundry by the time I reach Stara Zagora! I will take my own pictures of the apartment after I arrive and share them with everyone!!
My Bulgarian kitchen. I love the stove!!

And the adorable tile!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura - Love reading of your adventures!! You go girl - take advantage of every opportunity to experience and learn the ways of Bulgaria...What fun!
    The pictures of your kitchen remind me of a little toy kitchen set...it looks little...but cute!!
    Glad to hear and see you are having a wonderful time. Take care dear Granddaughter -
    Love, Grandma Kathy

    ReplyDelete