Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Kukeri Come to Stara

Stara Zagora celebrated its Kukeri Festival on March 6, and I was able to go and enjoy the parade and some of the dances. Just like the last Kukeri festival I attended, this one involved lots of men and children dressed up in furry animal like costumes with bells designed to scare away evil spirits. The Festival involved Kukeri groups from all over Bulgaria and even a group from Romania. Following the parade, each group took a turn performing dances/short plays that showed the Kukeri scaring away evil spirits during weddings. There were even two groups of Kukeri made up just of children that performed little skits. They were adorable!


Kukeri in the street

He reminded me of something out of Where the Wild Things Are

Traditional Bulgarian bagpipes

The children performing a skit. If you look to the left, you'll see a little boy dressed up as a priest. So cute!

More Where the Wild Things Are Kukeri performing their skit

I want to climb into this tree and read books and never leave. It looks so comfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment