Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sometimes, you just have to laugh at life

I dragged myself out of bed this morning at 7:00. I know, most of you are rolling your eyes because 7:00 does not seem that early. But it was my first morning shift since coming back from Christmas. I had Christmas break and then Hep A break. So, I'm struggling just a little to get back into the routine of early mornings. But I managed to get up just fine, had some cheese on bread, and stumbled off towards school. At my school, there are two entrances, one for students and one for teachers. Students are not allowed to enter through the teacher's door. As usual, I headed towards the teacher's entrance. But today was not like most days. Today, a teacher grabbed me by the arm and started yelling at me in Bulgarian. Apparently, she thought I was a student. My sleep deprived brain struggled to catch up to me as I explained, in English, that I was a teacher. But she didn't speak English. Luckily, one of my janitor friends saw what was happening and came to my rescue. It was all straightened out, but for about thirty seconds, I felt like I was back in tenth grade, caught in the hallway without my bathroom pass. Looking back, though, it was kind of funny. Why do I look like I'm sixteen???

New goals:
Dress like a grown up. If I can't look like a grown up, I can at least dress like one. AKA stop wearing sneakers to work.
Learn how to say "I am a teacher" in Bulgarian. I can say "I am" but always forget "teacher."
Wake up early enough to drink coffee and get my A game on BEFORE arriving at school.

1 comment:

  1. One of my friends and I got carded last time we went out for drinks (her boyfriend, who I am older than, did not). We decided we were finally past the age of being mistaken for high schoolers...

    If the teacher is older, you probably appear school age to her. I know kids I see in high school now, I sometimes think should be in Middle School; same with kids in college being in high school. I think it's a matter of getting older and seeing people in respect of age.

    -Steph

    ReplyDelete