Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Surviving my first power outage AKA Friendly Bulgarian Neighbors

I was warned before arriving at my apartment that there tend to be random power outages. I was hoping that I would get a chance to settle in thoroughly before experiencing one, but I had no such luck. I arrived in my apartment last night and had my first power outage this evening. In the middle of cooking dinner. Luckily, I am an intelligent human being, and I unpacked my flashlight last night and put it in a very easy to find location. After finding my flashlight, I began to rummage around for my Bulgarian dictionary. I opened it up only to find that "electricity" is not considered an important enough word for my dictionary. So, I looked up "light." Bad news, there are five entries in my dictionary for light, and the first three were labeled as verbs while the last one was labelled "not heavy." The fourth option didn't have a label. I began trying to mumble the Bulgarian to myself as I put my shoes on and opened my front door, but when I stopped the first little old Bulgarian lady who smiled at me, my mind blanked. So, instead of trying to say the word for "light," I just stood there repeating "ne ...ummmm..." and then pointing at my apartment. Luckily, she figured out what I meant by that and called to an older Bulgarian man who looked a lot like my Grandpa Dave and who came to my rescue. After asking me several questions, to which I replied "ummm...ne Bulgarski?" he laughed and came into my apartment. Turns out I had blown a fuse, which is a much more complicated fix than I remember it being in the US. He got up on a chair to reach my fuse box, unscrewed a little dial, and then disappeared into his apartment to get another fuse. He must have replaced it while he was inside because he came back, screwed the dial back in, and presto chango - lights! It's nice to have friendly neighbors. I finished making dinner and am now sitting in my living room once again. I really hope my power doesn't go out again anytime soon...

1 comment:

  1. It's not bad idea to have few spare fuses at your place - if there are regular power outages, blown fuses might be something casual. In fact even the oldest type are easy to change, so once you learn how to notice blown fuse, you'll be able to change it in a minute :)

    ReplyDelete