Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New Foods and a New School



I'm bored. I'll admit it. I'm not bored all of the time. Just some of the time. Like when I'm alone in my apartment. Which is more often than I care to admit. But it's okay! Because I have found an activity that takes up a lot of time and is extremely rewarding: cooking! I spend most of my down time looking up recipes and trying new things. So far, I am having great success. I have learned how to make chicken stock and then how to use that chicken stock to make rice pilaf (which is delicious!). I have also learned innumerable ways to cook vegetables and chicken. Though I'm sure there are plenty more options out there for me to explore. This week, I learned how to make homemade applesauce and homemade refried beans. So delicious! I'm going to make applesauce all fall until the apples run out. It's so good, and it reminds me of home.

This past weekend, I visited my friend Ellen in Sofia. She showed me where to find American ketchup and frozen french fries. So, next time I get super homesick, I'm buying fries and ketchup. It was nice to visit with Ellen because I'm starting to get lonely, and it is nice to get out of my city and spend some time with another American who is going through the same experience. The honeymoon period has worn off, and I'm struggling to adjust to the daily realities of life in Bulgaria. I actually really love it here. I live in a beautiful city, and I have wonderful students. But I've never lived alone before. And I've certainly never lived in a city where I have to practice my mime skills on a daily basis. I knew before coming that most people would not speak English. But knowing and living with are two very different things. Luckily, I am beginning to pick up random words in Bulgarian along with a couple of useful phrases. And, my miming skills are becoming unrivaled. The other day, I went to the local store to get chicken. Before I left, I taught myself the Bulgarian word for chicken (pile). Upon arrival, I timidly scooted up to the counter and said in as confident a voice as I could muster, "ummm...pile?" The grocer smiled at me, went to the freezer, and began pulling out whole chickens while asking me in Bulgarian if I wanted a big one or a small one. At that point in time, I made the unhappy realization that I had forgotten to look up one very key phrase: chicken breast. I didn't want a whole chicken. So, I told the grocer, "ne...ummm...I want pile...ummm" and then gestured vaguely towards my chest. After blushing slightly, the grocer managed to tell me that he did not have any chicken breasts. Then, he asked me something in Bulgarian. I told him that I didn't understand. He looked really embarrassed and uncomfortable. Then, he mumbled, "Pile?" and gestured towards his thigh. I am not a huge fan of chicken thighs, but I quickly said, "Dobre! (good)", grabbed the thighs, paid, and ran away. Every day in Bulgaria is another adventure waiting to happen. But I love it. Or at least, I love it after the fact. Things are always much funnier AFTER I successfully make it through them.

School opened on September 15. When I say opened, I do not mean that classes started on the 15th. In Bulgaria, the first day of school is a time of celebration and welcome. Selected seniors give speeches and some of the kids perform dances and songs. I even got to hear a student play the Bulgarian bagpipes! After the ceremony, the teachers met upstairs for alcohol and snacks. At eleven in the morning. This is my kind of school! :P

After the opening ceremony, I headed back out into the city for a day of wandering and fun. I managed to find the remains of the Roman forum and theater! Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to get into the theater. The sign posted is in Bulgarian, and I cannot figure it out. So, I awkwardly stood at the gate for a few minutes hoping someone would miraculously appear to tell me where to go, but no such fairy appeared. Luckily, as I was walking away, I spotted the Regional History Museum. So, I went inside and got to enjoy an afternoon of nerdy history artifacts. I loved it! I'm probably going to go back several times. Even though I'm seen the whole thing. Because I like it. And I like history. Okay, nerd moment over. For the time being.

The Roman theater as seen from outside the stupid gate.

I started classes on Thursday. The Bulgarian school system is different from the American. Each grade is divided into three English classes (A,B,C), three French classes, and three German classes. Each class is assigned a classroom. Then, the teachers move around to the classrooms. So, teachers do not have their own rooms. Instead, they move to where the kids are. I teach nine classes a week. I teach all three classes of 9th grade, 11th grade, and 12th grade once a week each. I teach 9a and 9b on Monday; 11c, 11a, 12b, and 12a on Tuesday; 9c on Wednesday; and 11b and 12c on Thursday. I am not teaching very much, but in addition to my regular classes, I will be making guest appearances in other classes and working with extracurricular groups as well. Overall, I should be kept fairly busy. I have now met all of my classes but one, and I have great students. Some classes are crazy energetic while other classes barely say a word. Both kinds offer their own unique challenges, and I am looking forward to working with them all. I do not have class tomorrow due to a National holiday, which means that I will not meet 9c until next week. That's a shame because it puts them a week behind their classmates. I will just have to double time to catch them up. I have learned, however, that I cannot move too fast. My students can't understand me when I speak too fast. They say my accent is confusing. What accent? I don't have an accent. Do I?

This weekend, I am off to Istanbul, Turkey. There is going to be a large gathering of Fulbrighters in the beautiful city of Istanbul. Ellen, Dena, and Kate are leaving tonight. Hillary and I (and hopefully Olivia!) will join them on Friday, and Katie and Keith are joining us at some point as well. Katie and Keith are couch surfing. Basically, there's a website where you can sign up to let strangers spend a night or two on your couch. Katie and Keith are far braver than I ever will be. While I am generally trusting of the goodwill of strangers, I wouldn't want to sleep on one's couch... I will be staying in a hostel with Hillary and whoever else wants to join us. Much better, in my humble opinion. For $20 a night, I get a lock on my door...

I am super excited to see Istanbul again. Last time I went, I was exhausted from two weeks straight of travelling and did not get a chance to truly appreciate the city. This time, I will be rested and revved up to go. Things I am looking forward to: the Latin alphabet, the spice market, the Underground Caverns. Hopefully, I will get to see all three.

A picture of me at the Blue Mosque on my last trip to Turkey.

Time to go cook dinner. Ciao for now!

1 comment:

  1. If you remember where the ruins are, you can always take your dictionary for translation.

    ReplyDelete