Having graduated from college, I've decided to set out on an adventure: a year in Bulgaria. I'll be teaching English at a city in central Bulgaria, and I'll be travelling as much as possible. Stop by for updates!

Monday, October 11, 2010

Ten Lessons from Bulgaria

I've been here for over two months now, and I'll be home for Christmas in a little over two more months. The time seems to be flying right past me. Luckily, I made the decision on to take in as much of Bulgaria as I could. Here's what I've taken in so far, and the advice I give myself on a daily basis. Some of it is lessons I've learned the hard way, and others are lessons that I've learned via my Fulbright family. Thanks, fam!

1) It is probably inappropriate to laugh out loud when you overhear one of your students making fun of another teacher. Even when you think their assessment is dead on. It is apparently not inappropriate, however, to teach in four inch heels and a leather miniskirt.

2) More often than not, people will forget to tell you to do certain essential things because they take it for granted that you would know to do them. For example, all the teachers at my school have to fill in information for each class they teach in a giant log book every single day. Since it's part of their daily routine, they didn't think about the fact that I wouldn't know to do that. Until I finally asked what the book was. Always ask questions! Otherwise, people just assume you know the answer.

3) Always give yourself three hours to do a task you think will take one hour. Sometimes, it will only take you thirty minutes. Other times, it will take you six hours.

4) Always remember to laugh at a difficult situation. It's way more fun than crying.

5) Everyone knows you're a foreigner. It's okay. Don't worry about it. Just don't make it worse by being an obnoxious foreigner.

6) Miming is an art form that living in Bulgaria will allow you to perfect.

7) When buying meat, don't be cheap. The cheap stuff? Not always actual meat.

8) Buy sturdy shoes. Walking happens. A lot.

9) Always pack an umbrella, a sweater, and some extra toilet paper when going to teach. You never know when (or why) you'll need them.

10) Never forget to relax and enjoy the scenery. How often do you get the opportunity to live for a year in Bulgaria? That's what I thought. Enjoy it.



1 comment: